UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups ...
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Position: Executive and Administrative Assistant (Premium Job)
- Job Category NGO / INGO / Social work
- Job Location Kathmandu District
- Expiry date 2022-10-07
- Skills Administrative, Computer skills, Communication (e.g.: written and oral communication)
Under the direct supervision of Operations Manager, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
1. Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the office of HOA of the NCO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Efficient and discreet management of the HOA’s schedules.
- Prepare brief background notes, bio of persons or organizations for the scheduled meetings.
- Organization of regular and ad-hoc meetings; preparation of minutes and summaries of actions to be taken; tracking of progress on planned issues; follow-up with the concerned persons on behalf of the HOA.
- Provide administrative and coordination support to HoA as required
- Provide secretarial supports and inputs to NCO on document designing and presenting with infographic skills as per UN Women standard.
- Screening of all incoming communications, filter outgoing correspondence for supervisor’s signature, clearance, and further action by other staff; wherever possible.
- Adherence to appropriate protocol and correspondence guidelines by CO team when communicating with Government and other external partners.
- Use of other office management system e.g. common calendar of events, alerting about emergency priorities, flow of information and coordination for approval of different documents.
- Management of the layout of the HOA’s office, ensuring an environment of professionalism and teamwork at all times.
2. Ensures provision of effective communications, programmatic and administrative support to the UN Women Nepal Country office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the filing system of all official correspondence ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials. Use of professional filing system both in hard copies and e-copies.
- Coordination of the information flow in the office including regular checking of NCO registry email and dissemination of corporate and interoffice communication to staff as required.
- Make travel arrangements, including travel requisitions and support to colleagues for Travel approvals (TRF), visa processing and claims
- Facilitation of information sharing with Program and Operations Teams.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of col-lection and submission of the reports and other documents to the HOA.
- Draft routine correspondence, interoffice circulars, general briefing notes and minutes of meetings when requested, brief translations when required.
3. Provide administrative and coordination support to monitoring, evaluation , coordination and communication focal points /teams at NCO, as and when required.
- Support to organization of events.
- Assist in the planning and preparation of meetings, events etc
- Coordinate organizing inception, validation and assessment workshops
- Adhoc support as requested
4. Ensures the provision of front-desk service, telephone communication services and general administrative support services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Monitoring of all visitors to the office; assistance to visitors by providing directions and accurate information related to UN/UN-Women. Collection of information and update of the UN telephone list UN Directory, Addresses of the Government, International Organizations, Embassies, and Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and other important contacts.
- Issuance of gate passes, taking care of registry/incoming & outgoing mail, documents.
- Perform general clerical duties to include but not limited to photocopying, faxing, mailing preparing bills related to office work.
- Effective management of office supplies and stationery, publications, and resource materials of NCO.
5. Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day).
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country.
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities.
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly arrived UN Volunteers.
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
- Strengthened efficiency of the HOA’s office and reception
- Effective coordination and administrative support to the UN Women Nepal Country
- Efficient front-desk service, telephone communication services and general administrative and programmatic support services
- Strengthened management support
18 – 26
Candidate must be a national or legal resident of the country of assignment.
2 years of experience in secretariat support and programme management support.
Area(s) of expertise
Administration, Social work
Nepalese, Level: Fluent, Required
English, Level: Fluent, Required
Required education level
Bachelor degree or equivalent in social work, law, economics, gender/women’s studies, political science, or related discipline. Master’s degree in related field is desired.
Competencies and values
- Integrity and professionalism: demonstrated expertise in area of specialty and ability to apply good judgment; high degree of autonomy, personal initiative and ability to take ownership; willingness to accept wide responsibilities and ability to work independently under established procedures in a politically sensitive environment, while exercising discretion, impartiality and neutrality; ability to manage information objectively, accurately and confidentially; responsive and client-oriented.
- Accountability: mature and responsible; ability to operate in compliance with organizational rules and regulations.
- Commitment to continuous learning: initiative and willingness to learn new skills and stay abreast of new developments in area of expertise; ability to adapt to changes in work environment.
- Planning and organizing: effective organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to manage a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner; ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor (own) work; ability to work under pressure, with conflicting deadlines, and to handle multiple concurrent projects/activities.
- Teamwork and respect for diversity: ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and harmonious working relations in a multi- cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and gender.
- Communication: proven interpersonal skills; good spoken and written communication skills, including ability to prepare clear and concise reports; ability to conduct presentations, articulate options and positions concisely; ability to make and defend recommendations; ability to communicate and empathize with staff (including national staff), military personnel, volunteers, counterparts and local interlocutors coming from very diverse backgrounds; ability to maintain composure and remain helpful towards the staff, but objective, without showing personal interest; capacity to transfer information and knowledge to a wide range of different target groups.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and ability and willingness to operate independently in austere, remote and potentially hazardous environments for protracted periods, involving physical hardship and little comfort, and including possible extensive travel within the area of operations; willingness to transfer to other duty stations within area of operations as may be necessary.
- Genuine commitment towards the principles of voluntary engagement, which includes solidarity, compassion, reciprocity and self-reliance; and commitment towards the UN core values
Living conditions and remarks
As this is a national UN Volunteer assignment, the UN Volunteer will be responsible for arranging his/her own housing and other living essentials. National UN Volunteers are part of the malicious insurance plan.
United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme that welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, care protected characteristics. As part of their adherence to the values of UNV, all UN Volunteers commit themselves to combat any form of discrimination, and to promoting respect for human rights and individual dignity, without distinction of a person’s race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
Note on Covid-19 vaccination requirements
Selected candidates for certain occupational groups may be subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) in line with the applicable host entity policy
To apply for this job please visit app.unv.org.