UNOPS announces vacancies for Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
Job categories: Project Management, Programme Management
Vacancy code: VA/2023/B5006/26365
Department/Office: AR, EAPMCO, Thailand
Duty station: Kathmandu, Nepal
Contract type: Local ICA Specialist
Contract level: LICA Specialist-10
Duration: One year with the possibility of extension
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Please note that UNOPS will at no stage of the recruitment process request candidates to make payments of any kind.
Background Information -job-specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement, and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors, and United Nations organizations. With over 6,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical, and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
UNOPS is recruiting for this position on behalf of its partner, the United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment).
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system, and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
The M&E Officer will work under the overall guidance of the National Project Director (NPD) and under the direct supervision of the National Project Manager (NPM). The M&E Officer will team together with other project staff, the Climate Change Management Division (CCMD) team and consultants to ensure monitoring, evaluation, communication, and reporting of the project activities are operationalized and complied with at all levels in realizing the project objective. The M&E Officer will also work closely and coordinate with project stakeholders for information sharing and knowledge management.
The M&E Officer will specifically:
- Take the lead in reviewing and reporting the M&E framework for Ecosystem-based Adaptation (EbA) II in line with the project document for measuring results at all levels.
- Plan and operationalize a mechanism for the collection and collation of project information/database at PMU for analysis and reporting.
- Operationalize an appropriate program monitoring system in place – and align with UNE corporate reporting and monitoring mechanism.
- Undertake a review of the Project log frame, Results resources framework, M&E framework Annual Work Plans (AWPs), and other documents to ensure that the intended project targets, outputs, and deliverables are measured and reported.
- Contribute to the development of AWP, ensuring alignment with project strategy, program budget, agreement on annual targets, and inclusion of M&E activities to measure physical and process monitoring of activities.
- Undertake a results-based approach to monitoring and evaluation emphasizing results and impacts
- Undertake regular visits to the field to support the implementation of project M&E and to identify areas where adaptations are required.
- Act as a Communication and Monitoring Focal Point of the Project and liaise accordingly.
- Prepare periodic reports such as Annual Performance Reports (APRs), HYRs, Quarterly Project Reviews (QPRs), monthly progress report, Project Implementation Report (PIRs), monitoring and evaluation reports and project briefs for submission and briefing to Ministry of Forest and Environment (MoFE), UNEP / Global Environment Facility (GEF) and other stakeholders as deemed necessary.
- Oversee and execute the Project Gender Action Plan (GAP), SRIF, SEP, and GRM mechanism are adhered to and complied by all stakeholders during project implementation and reported accordingly. Monitor and follow-up Project MTR recommendations for their implementation.
- Ensure regular back-up of MIS database and electronic documents including regular update of project website.
- Document, package and disseminate lessons generated by the project for knowledge sharing and management.
- Facilitate and be a part of the Terminal Evaluation (TE) team
- Undertake any other responsibilities relevant for EbA as required by NPM.
- Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Management, Natural Resource, Development studies, Population Studies, Statistics, Social Sciences or other relevant disciplines.
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in combination with seven (7) years’ relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent).
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in project or programme management, evaluation, administration, or related areas in a government, multilateral or INGO environment with an advanced university degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) is required.
- Detailed knowledge of key M&E Concepts, Tools, and experience working with both qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis methodologies and familiarity with routine management of information systems is highly desirable.
- Full working knowledge (fluency) in written and communication skills of English and Nepali languages is required.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: LICA
- Contract level: ICS 10 / LICA 10
- Contract duration: One year with possibility of extension.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
The position is open for application only for Nepal nationals or with valid residence.
- Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
- Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
- We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (they take around 4 hours to complete) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS. For more information on a retainer contract here.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Application period: 14-Jul-2023 to 30-Jul-2023