Resource Management Officer
Job #: req22673
Organization: World Bank
Sector: Resource Management
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Required Language(s): English and Nepali
Closing Date: 5/29/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
The Budget, Performance Review, and Strategic Planning Vice Presidency (BPS) is organized into two Departments: BPS’s Global Practices and Regions (BPSGR) with teams supporting Operational Units; and BPS’s Corporate and Middle Office (BPSCM) with teams supporting Institutional, Governance, and Administrative Units as well as providing corporate planning, budgeting, and reporting services. As a Resource Management (RM) function, BPS has the following key accountabilities: strategy and business planning; expense management; performance review and reporting; resource management infrastructure development and maintenance; internal controls and risk management; and resource management capacity building. BPS’ service delivery model has three core roles: (1) Business Partners (serving clients directly with focus on decision support and performance oversight); (2) Centers of Expertise (providing thought-leadership and analytics, designing business finance policies, practices, and coordinating business finance knowledge management); and (3) Service Center (managing delivery of high volume and transactional and reporting services across Bank, including help desk support to clients).
BPS is seeking to recruit competitively a Resource Management Officer (RMO) that will be assigned to BPSOS, the BPS unit supporting the Operations Policy and Country Services (OPCS) and South Asia Region (SAR) VPUs.
BPSOS has 29 positions, of which over 50% are in the field in 6 country offices, supporting about $300 million of Bank Budget and $90 million of External Funds.
BPSOS is responsible for budgeting, business planning including Trust Funds integration, work program agreements (WPA) and related monitoring and reporting, cost efficiency measures, capital budgets, internal controls, process improvements, policy guidance, and other internal client support functions in resource management (RM). In addition, BPSOS staff in the country offices also handle accounting, payments, financial reporting, cash management, security, some HR benefits programs, and other country office administrative functions.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The position will be based in Kathmandu, Nepal, and will primarily support the Country Director (CD) and the Operations Manager (OM), both also based in Kathmandu.
Working independently under the supervision of Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) and general direction of the CD and the OM, the selected candidate will be the main BPS Business Partner for the Nepal, Sri Lanka, and Maldives Country Management Unit (CMU), assisting its management with business planning and Work Program Agreements (WPAs) as well as budgeting, reporting to both the CMU and the CAO’s Office on budget execution and projections. The selected candidate will also be responsible for the oversight of accounting functions and internal controls as well as some administrative functions of the Kathmandu Office, and may support other country offices, as needed.
RM staff are expected to be fungible and to work across the BPS RM Functions over time – in response to business needs and in support of their professional development.
Key accountabilities for this position include:
- Plays a key business planning role with the CMU Management Team in overseeing and coordinating preparation of Work Program Agreement (WPA), budget formulation (BB, TF, and other cost-share/revenue sources), and in case of country office relocations or renovations, development of capital budget plans.
- Compiles and analyzes costs at the CMU/country office, measuring efficiency/effectiveness and proposing enhancement solutions as needed, and undertaking comparison of service providers costs, always seeking the best value for money.
- Ensures the alignment of planned deliverables and budgets are properly aligned, that country offices liquidity balances have optimum levels, and that exception reports are monitored periodically with remedial actions taken when needed.
- Provides support to the Country Director, Operation Manager, and staff in accessing management reports available in Bank’s information systems.
- Liaises and maintains relationships with local commercial banks as needed.
Financial Control and Fiduciary:
- Works with the Country Director and Operation Manager to ensure a strong control environment in the country offices.
- Provides guidance, advice, interpretation, and recommendations to the Country Director, Managers, and staff on RM policies and procedures.
- Ensures that audits and quality assurance reviews recommendations are implemented properly.
- Coordinates preparation of accounting scorecard responses and implements recommendations.
- Reviews accounting transactions, reconciliation reports, open items report, and monthly accounting reports.
- Ensures that Bank’s assets and inventories are appropriately recorded and safeguarded.
- Maintains consistency in the application of accounting rules and procedures.
Human Resources Management:
- Advises and provides inputs to Management on staff planning/strategic workforce planning exercises.
- Provides support to HR on benefit administration related matters (e.g., financial assistance, salary costing, etc.) as needed.
- Liaises with the HR team on human resource issues that may have budget implications as needed.
- Leads, guides, and mentors other RM Analysts/Assistants, and administrative staff, as needed, in overall RM tasks and institutional policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with Security, IT and Facilities teams to ensure the smooth operation of office facilities, seeking opportunities for improvement where appropriate.
- Oversees the local administrative procurement of supplies, goods, and services; also, where applicable, may take a lead role coordinating and participating in the Country Office Administrative Procurement Review Committee (APRC).
- Contributes to the development of administrative policies and practices for process improvement and the efficient and effective operation of the country office.
- Master’s Degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, or other relevant discipline required to fulfill position specific requirements (e.g., Economics, Public Administration, etc.) OR Bachelor’s Degree plus an internationally recognized professional accounting qualification (e.g., CPA, CA, ACCA, CGMA).
- Minimum five years’ relevant experience.
- Planning and Budgeting: Able to coordinate work program and budget planning, formulation, allocation processes (including WPAs), and monitoring and management reporting at the department level. Able to ensure timely submission in accordance with VPU deadlines. Able to monitor the funding position of the unit and liaise with senior staff on addressing funding issues and provide advice to unit management team, leading on corrective action to cover funding gaps and/or invest surplus funds (where applicable).
- Performance Evaluation and Reporting: Able to analyze and interpret reports and draw meaningful conclusions with respect to performance against strategic and operational priorities.
- Statutory and Other Stakeholder Reporting: Has a good understanding of financial statements and stakeholder reports and can explain trends, drivers, and variances to others (either for statutory purposes or other stakeholders, such as TF donors).
- Integrity and Independence: Interprets information in an objective manner, exercising professional skepticism and critical thinking. Disseminates information with due attention to potential issues of confidentiality and disclosure.
- Internal Control and Corporate Procedures: Able to evaluate and ensure the consistency of specific policies and procedures with the entity’s stated mission, strategies, and practices. Can identify deficiencies and analyze controls, policies, procedures, and corporate guidelines, alerting and informing the appropriate channels to review and take corrective action.
- Leadership and Supervision: Supervises team by planning and organizing a course of action that will lead to the accomplishment of team and project objectives. When required, makes changes to team composition to obtain and maximize the skills available whether inside or outside the Bank. Brings to the team expertise and knowledge that enhances the quality of output. Works to resolve differences and issues on the team or between the team and clients; leads the team through challenges. Is a model for others of team leadership skills; coaches and mentors others to build these essential skills.
- Deliver Results for Clients: Proactively addresses clients’ stated and unstated needs. Adds value by constantly looking for a better way to get more impactful results; sets challenging stretch goals for oneself. Immerses oneself in client experiences and perspective by asking probing questions to understand unmet needs. Demonstrates accountability for achieving results that have a development impact and financial, environmental, and social sustainability. Identifies and proposes solutions to mitigate and manage risks.
- Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries: Collaborates across boundaries, gives own perspective and willingly receives diverse perspectives. Appropriately involves others in decision making and communicates with key stakeholders. Approaches conflicts as common problems to be solved. Actively seeks and considers diverse ideas and approaches displaying a sense of mutuality and respect. Integrates WBG perspective into work.
- Lead and Innovate: Develops innovative solutions. Contributes new insights to understand situations and develops solutions to resolve complex problems. Adapts as circumstances require and manages impact of own behavior on others in context of WBG’s values and mission. Identifies and pursues innovative approaches to resolve issues.
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge: Applies knowledge across WBG to strengthen solutions for internal and/or external client; Leverages department’s expertise and body of knowledge across WBG to strengthen internal and/or external client solutions; Seeks to learn from more experienced staff to deepen or strengthen their professional knowledge and helps others to learn; Builds personal and professional networks inside and outside the department unit.
- Make Smart Decisions: Interprets a wide range of information and pushes to move forward. Seeks diversity of information and inputs, research possible solutions, and generates recommended options; Identifies and understands risks and proposes recommendations; Based on risk analysis makes decisions in a timely manner within own area of responsibility, considering the interests and concerns of stakeholders.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
To apply for this job please visit worldbankgroup.csod.com.